In the spring of 1957, the Sheridan Junior Women’s Club formally established the Civic Theatre Guild under the direction of Bill Thompson. Since that time, thousands of volunteers have contributed to the Guild’s vitality and success.
Our premier season started with The Rainmaker and Ladies in Retirement and has continued non-stop ever since. Every production, ranging from mysteries, dramas and melodramas to musicals, comedies and Shakespeare, has featured performers and technical support from the Sheridan community.
In its early years, the CTG was a traveling troupe, staging players in diverse venues as the Tack Room Theatre at Story’s Lodore Supper Club, the Buckboard Theatre in the Sheridan Elks Lodge, the Dining Room of the Historic Sheridan Inn and in most Sheridan school auditoriums.
In 1979, the Guild was able to acquire a lease on the Carriage House, then owned by the Sheridan County Historical Society. Located on the grounds of the Trail End State Historic Site, known as the Kendrick Mansion, the Carriage House was simply a garage with a large amount of space both upstairs and down. After several years of renovation and fundraising, an intimate theater space was created. Eighty-seven seats fill the former carriage room with reception areas in the tack and horse stall areas. Costume and properties storage are located in the former hayloft upstairs, while the former chicken coop serves as an office/ticket booth.
In 1985, a fire in the Carriage House’s stall and hayloft areas left the future of the Civic Theatre Guild in doubt. The disaster left the Sheridan community needing to restore both the structure and the theater group. After remarkable efforts, productions on the Carriage House stage resumed just in time for the start of the 1987 season. Thanks to strong community support and commitment, the Civic Theatre Guild is able to continue to share their love of the theater with the community.